The team with the trophy

Swindon became winners of the inaugural Anglo-Italian Cup, beating Napoli 3-0 in the final, held in the Stadio San Paolo, Naples.

The tournament consisted of twelve teams, six English and six Italian, which were split into three groups - two from each country in each group, with each team playing both teams from the other country home and away. Two points were awarded for a win, one for a draw, and, rather strangely, one extra point was awarded for each goal scored. The team with the best record from each country would qualify. Ultimately, it was this rule that was to send Swindon to the final.

Swindon were drawn in Group 1 with Sheffield Wednesday, Juventus and Napoli. They started brightly, hammering Juventus 4-0 at home in their first match, before a home defeat by Napoli looked to have scuppered their chances of progressing. Against the odds, they won both their away fixtures - 1-0 at Juventus and 1-0 at Napoli. Swindon progressed to the final stage at the expense of Middlesbrough and Wolves. Napoli also qualified, helped by a 5-1 home win over Sheffield Wednesday.

The Town produced a fine display in the final, scoring three without reply - the goals coming from Peter Noble and Arthur Horsfield. This incensed the Italian fans so much, they started to riot - ripping seats from the ground and hurling them onto the pitch. Though the match was abandoned after 79 minutes, the trophy was awarded to Swindon.


The front page of the Evening Advertiser, covering the violence that ended the game.

The Evening Advertiser match report.

The match report from Peter Sheldon's book, "Swindon's Pride"


The referee, Mr Paul Schiller of Austria, leads the teams onto the pitch.
The referee leads the teams out

The teams line up before the match.
The teams line up before the match

The two captains shake hands during the pre-match formalities.
The two captains shake hands

Peter Noble's header puts the Town in front.
Noble puts Swindon ahead

Peter Noble's strike nestles in the Napoli net.
Noble's strike nestles in the net

Arthur Horsfield adds to the Town's lead, making it 3-0.
Horsfield bags the third

The Napoli fans hurl concrete onto the pitch, which leads to the match being abandoned.
Napoli fans start to riot

The Swindon squad pose with the trophy.
The team with the trophy

Fred Ford attempts to diffuse the situation, by showing the cup to the fans.
Ford shows the cup to the fans

Back in Swindon, captain Stan Harland poses with the cup.
Harland poses with the cup

The Anglo-Italian Cup.
The trophy

The programme for the Final - the first time a programme was produced for a match played in Italy.