view Storey's match-by-match record

A striker initially signed on a two year scholarship from Coventry, Storey made his Town debut towards the end of the first year of his youth contract, when youth team boss and caretaker manager Paul Bodin brought him on as a late substitute in a 2-0 home defeat against Oldham in April 2011, with the Town's relegation already confirmed. He made his second appearance the following weekend, coming on for the last nine minutes of a 2-0 victory over Tranmere.

The following season, Storey had more opportunities in the first team - and after making three more sub appearances in September, new Town boss Paolo di Canio confirmed that Storey was now mostly training with the first team rather than the youths. During the season, Storey was nominated for the League Two Apprentice of the Year award - a title won by Nick Powell of Crewe, who went on to move to Manchester United during the close season - and as the season drew to a close, Storey was offered his first professional contract, a one-year deal, before making another appearance from the bench in the final game of the season at Bradford.

The following season, Storey burst into the spotlight. After making only a couple of cameo substitute appearances at the start of the season, he was brought on early in the second half at Crewe in October 2012 - the following weekend, he was handed his full debut for a game at Stevenage, during which he scored a headed goal in a convincing 4-0 win, Storey directing his celebration towards Stevenage’s youth team manager, who had told him that he would be “flipping burgers in McDonald’s” the previous season. Three days later, coming off the bench with the Town 2-0 down against Premier League Aston Villa in the Carling Cup, Storey netted two goals in three minutes - the second a delicious backheel that sent a packed County Ground into raptures - only for the Town to concede a winning goal in the dying moments of the game.

Despite Town boss Paolo di Canio’s concerns about the hype surrounding him, the goals prompted the Swindon Advertiser to run a special multi page feature on the youngster, and he was also called up for the England under-19 squad for the first time, making his debut against Finland. Perhaps not wanting to fuel the flames, di Canio named Storey on the bench throughout November, before a medial ligament tear sidelined him - when he did return, a hamstring strain picked up in a training game took the total period he was out up to two months.

Storey returned to the bench at the beginning of February - coming on for the final five minutes of a game against Hartlepool that proved to be di Canio’s last as Swindon manager - his backroom staff carrying through his plan at fellow promotion chasers Tranmere, naming Storey in the first eleven. Though Storey terrorised the Rovers defence with his blistering pace in the opening twenty-five minutes, he again succumbed to a recurrence of his hamstring injury, forced off midway through the first half in a game that Swindon went on to win 3-1, to take them to the top of the table.

A scan soon revealed that he had a 20cm grade three tear, that was predicted to keep him out for the rest of the season - however, he returned earlier than expected, new boss Kevin MacDonald naming him on the bench for both play-off semi-finals against Brentford. After sitting out the first game, Storey came on late in the second leg with the Town 3-2 down - but though Aden Flint netted an injury time equaliser, the season was to end in heartbreak - Storey seeing his penalty saved in the shootout at the end of the game, the Bees scoring all of their kicks to win 5-4. Though inconsolable after the game, Storey used social media site Twitter to apologise to the fans and thank them for their kind words of sympathy - a week later, he still admitted to having sleepless nights about the miss, but after signing a new contract, he pledged to repay the club and the fans the following season.

The 2013/14 season was Storey's busiest in a Town shirt, managing 20 Town appearances in between two spells out on loan. On the opening day, he replaced Andy Williams as a second half sub as Town went down to a narrow defeat at Peterborough, and he then started the next two league games on the right of an attacking three with Williams and Alex Pritchard. He struggled to make an impact in those games however, and was replaced by Nathan Byrne for the game against Gillingham. The signings of Dany N’Guessan and Nicky Ajose pushed Storey down the pecking order, and a short term loan move was arranged to then Conference side Salisbury City.

After three games and no goals at Salisbury, Storey returned to Swindon, but it was not until just before Christmas that he managed his next appearance - and first goal of the season - against Coventry City, replacing Ryan Harley as Town put three out-and-out strikers on at 1-0 down. Yaser Kasim equalised before Nile Ranger flicked on a goal kick and set Storey through on goal - his calm finish winning Town the points. It didn’t prove to be the start of any great run of goalscoring as, after a few more substitute appearances, Storey joined League One rivals Shrewsbury on a month’s loan on Valentine’s Day. Again, he went goalless throughout this spell, but he did pick up two more goals for the Town - against Tranmere and Sheffield United in successive games - before the end of the season.

Storey did not feature in Town’s plans for the 2014/15 season, but had two decent loan moves to League Two clubs in Portsmouth and Newport County, making 40 competitive appearances across the two spells and scoring five goals. He would make only two substitute appearances in his final season at Town - 2015/16, both in August, before joining Scottish Premier League side Inverness Caledonian Thistle on a loan which would eventually be extended for the full season. By now on his fifth loan club, Storey had by far the most productive loan spell of his career in Scotland, scoring 13 goals in 37 appearances and winning admirers across the SPL.

Come the end of 2015/16, with his contract expiring and Town seemingly interested in renewing it further, Storey agreed a deal to join Aberdeen. He remained in Scotland for a prolonged period - his spell at Aberdeen followed by time at Partick Thistle, before rejoining Inverness.

Whilst Storey was always a prospect Town fans wanted to see achieve his potential in a Town shirt, his six years at Town brought just six goals and nine starts, and subsequent seasons were far from prolific - suggesting a talent that didn’t quite reach the heights that had been predicted.


Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls
'15/'16 (+2) - - - - - - - (+2) -
'13/'14 7 (+11) 3 - - (+2) - - - 7 (+13) 3
'12/'13 2 (+7) 1 - - (+2) 2 - - 2 (+9) 3
'11/'12 (+4) - - - - - - - (+4) -
'10/'11 (+2) - - - - - - - (+2) -
TOTAL 9 (+26) 4 - - (+4) 2 - - 9 (+30) 6


JUL 2010 IN Coventry City
(signed youth contract)
5 OCT 2013 OUT Salisbury City
5 NOV 2013 IN Salisbury City
(loan return)
14 FEB 2014 OUT Shrewsbury Town
16 MAR 2014 IN Shrewsbury Town
(loan return)
1 SEP 2015 OUT Inverness Caledonian Thistle
17 MAY 2016 OUT Aberdeen
(Bosman free transfer)

full name

Miles James Storey


date of birth
4 January 1994


usual positions
centre forward

youth career
Wolverhampton W.
Coventry City

senior career
Salisbury City (loan)
Shrewsbury Town (loan)
Portsmouth (loan)
Newport County (loan) 
Inverness CT (loan) 
Partick Thistle 
Inverness CT 

website links