view Hunt's match-by-match record
Ernie HUNT

Real name Roger, "Young Ernie" gained his nickname from his father, whose name was Ernest. Hunt was one of "Bert's Babes" - one of the many players who came up through the youth ranks under the guidance of Bert Head.

A hustling, well-built inside-forward, Hunt was a goalscoring sensation. Making his debut early in the 1959/1960 season, he became the club's youngest ever player, at 16 years and 182 days - a record he held until 1980. He went on to gain England under-23 honours, and was the top scorer for the Town in four consecutive seasons, between 1961 and 1964. He also scored Swindon's first ever goal in Division Two - sixteen minutes into a 3-0 win over Scunthorpe, on August 24, 1963.

Recurring bouts of tonsilitis kept Hunt out of the side for periods during 1963 and 1964, and Hunt lost his form, and with it his international place. Just as he looked set to reclaim it during the 1964/1965 season, he was back in hospital with appendicitis. On his return, the Town were in the midst of a relegation scrap. Disaster struck again on 23rd March 1965, when Hunt broke a bone in his foot. When the plaster was taken off on 14th April, the relegation situation was dire, and Hunt was rushed back to action within three days. It looked to be a masterstroke, when Hunt scored within five minutes, but triumph turned to tragedy in the second half when he limped off again, his foot broken in the same place.

In total, Swindon had to make do without their star striker for six of the last seven games that season and they failed to win any of the matches. Amazingly, the Football League allowed fellow relegation candidates Portsmouth to play on the evening of the last day of the season, after the Town's game had finished. Knowing they only needed a point to stay up, Portsmouth drew 1-1 away to already promoted Northampton, and Swindon were relegated to Division Three. Town manager Bert Head claimed that, without illness and injury to the Town's "best young player", the club wouldn't have had any relegation worries at all.

Hunt made just a few appearances in Division Three the following season, his goalscoring exploits had already alerted the bigger clubs, and he was transferred to Wolves - becoming a major part of the team which won promotion to Division One. He also gained fame on Match of the Day after a move to Coventry, for a famous two-footed free kick, which has been replayed on many occasions since, and has since been outlawed.


Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls Played Gls
'65/'66 5 - - - - - - - 5 -
'64/'65 29 11 1 - 1 - - - 31 11
'63/'64 34 12 1 - 3 - - - 38 12
'62/'63 43 24 4 3 2 - - - 49 27
'61/'62 41 18 2 - 2 - - - 45 18
'60/'61 46 14 3 3 3 - - - 52 17
'59/'60 16 3 1 - - - - - 17 3
TOTAL 214 82 12 6 11 - - - 237 88


1957 IN (signed as amateur)
MAR 1960 IN (signed professional contract)
SEP 1965 OUT Wolverhampton Wanderers

full name

Roger Patrick Hunt


date of birth
17 March 1943


usual positions
inside right

youth career

senior career
Wolverhampton W.
Los Angeles Wolves 
Coventry City
Doncaster Rovers
Bristol City
Atherstone Town
Ledbury Town