Monday, 9th May, 1910


   After a very pleasant but tiring journey, the Swindon team arrived home on Saturday evening, bringing with them the massive cup which they won in the French capital the previous Thursday by their victory over Barnsley. A large crowd congregated outside the G.W.R. Station just before seven o'clock to welcome the team, and cheers were raised as Trainer Wiltshire emerged from the platform with the huge forty-guinea bronze trophy on his shoulder, but in consequence of the King's death there was no demonstration.
   The Cup was taken straight to the headquarters of the club, the Eagle Hotel, where it is now being exhibited. It is of massive design, weighing nearly a cwt., and its style is distinctly French. It is not, perhaps, so attractive and polished a trophy as one might have expected, and when the players themselves first saw it displayed on the Paris ground, and guarded by a Gendarme with drawn sword! they did not (in the words of the popular Secretary) think much of it. But a close inspection is sufficient to show that it is a beautiful work of art. It is a facsimile of an historic cup which is now in the British Museum.
   The medals which were presented to each of the players are of square shaped dull gold. On the front side are the figures of two footballers, and on the reverse side the "Goddess of Liberty."
   Mr S. Allen, the Secretary of the Club, accompanied the team to Paris, together with the following Directors:- Messrs T. Phipps, H. W. Thomas, C. Few, H. Prosser, H. Chegwidden, W. Anderson, and G. R. Plaister. Messrs C. R. Thomas, C. Williams, senr., R. Marshall, and the Club's trainer (Wiltshire) also made the journey, the party, in all, numbering twenty-five.
   The Frenchmen seem to have been highly delighted with the match, which was not in any sense a "holiday game." Barnsley played vigorous football, but completely lost their heads towards the finish, when the Town led by 2-1, especially after Boyle had missed a penalty. The kick was given against Tout for handling, but Boyle shot straight into Skiller's hands. There can be no doubt that the best team won. Fleming played a grand game, scoring both goals. Both passes came from Barkinshaw, who, with Lamb, created a very high impression among the directors as well as confidence in the team by their nice displays. They are likely to prove a great acquisition to the team. Barkinshaw had very hard lines in not scoring. He brought off a fine individual effort, and missed only by inches.
   There were 7,000 spectators present, and the gate realised 275.